Friday, February 13, 2009

It cooks, it steams, it's....completely in chinese.

Okay, so I must correct myself about the availability of iphones in China. You CAN buy a Chinese version of the iphone. We know someone who bought one for about $150 - it's kind of weird because it's lighter in weight. Also you can buy chinese ipods. I'm not sure if these are legal or what the story is. They are a bit different and don't function quite as well. We were trying to decide if they are actually apple brand components or not.

On that note...several people asked me if electronics (computers, cameras, phones) were cheaper here. Overall, I would say the quality brand stuff is actually more expensive. I know it's bizzare, considering many of these items are made here. But it's true. I forgot to pack my Harmen Kardon soundsticks computer speakers into our crate. I found them here at Best Buy and the iStore for 1998 RMB (~$292). I paid $150 for them a few years ago. You can find some no-name cheap stuff - but it's just that - cheap stuff that is mostly crap.

On the other hand, say you want to buy some small household appliance? Bargins galore! I went to a department store yesterday to buy a rice cooker. I mean, you can't possibly say you live in China and not own a rice cooker!!! So I venture to the rice cooker section - oh yes, there is a whole section for these contraptions. I am immediately approached by one of the several saleswomen assigned to that particular row of rice cookers.
Sidenote: here is what I have learned about my limited Chinese....do not pull it out of the hat right off the bat. If you open a conversation with someone using the entire three words of your limited mandarin vocabulary collection, you're asking for it. There will be a reply from the person in a full onslaught of rapid fire chinese that will leave you stunned and speechless. No, just say "hello" (not Ni hao- give them no false pretenses) and play dumb in the beginning. Okay, so you aren't "playing" dumb - you are. Anyway, introduce your limited chinese slowly so they realize you really don't know more than "hello, that is a table".

Okay so the saleswoman directs me right away to a fancy schmancy rice cooker that has so many functions that it might do my laundry too if it were just a bit larger. (But not much larger - our current washing machine is packed full if you put three towels inside. Might be faster though - it wouldn't take much to wash three towels in less than 3 hrs. Oh again, I digress...)
However, all the 50 buttons are completely in chinese so who really knows what all it does. Well, who-that-doesn't-read-chinese-characters knows, I mean. She's pushing all these buttons and speaking chinese and making lots of hand gestures that I think were supposed to help me understand (???) what would happen when these buttons are pushed. Apparently I stood there with the "What the ___?!" eyebrow raised for long enough that she realized I was completely overwhelmed. She let out a chuckle and said "Ahhhh." and led me to the end of the isle where I found the little gem I purchased. One button. That's it. One single little button. Yes, there are a few lights and it's all in chinese - but come on - put the rice and water in and push the button. I can do that - even in Chinese. Oh yeah, the bargin part - 109 RMB (~$16). The first clotheswasher/rice cooker she showed me was 399RMB. I got my cute little guy for 1/3 the price and I bet it cooks rice better than the rice cooker I had in the US. (I mean, come on it IS Chinese - oh that reminds me of my favorite chinese rice joke - have you seen me tell it? yes, you have to "see" me tell it to get the full joke. If not, ask me next time I see you.)
You CAN find good deals here!

No comments:

Post a Comment