This week started off on the wrong foot, or maybe i should say with the wrong arm. i broke my arm on monday while riding home from my chinese lesson in the rain. i was wearing a bike rain poncho that everyone wears here-the front of it is long and goes over your handlebars and clips to your basket to keep you and your stuff in your basket dry. the roads here are terrible. i was in a crowded area and i hit a bump thing that was really slick and went down. of course i instinctively tried to catch myself and fractured a bone at my elbow. I one-handed rode my bike home and took a taxi to the international clinic. it sucks. i only have one clumsy left hand now. typing is a challenge so forgive my lowercases, etc. i really took for granted the things i did with my dominant hand, and with two hands for that matter.
Here's my worthless right club-hand. And Bill riding my accursed bike in the park by our apt on the day we bought it.
This picture is my dad the week I left for china, he was in the hospital- but he looks good there. my dad went into the hospital last week again. he was only home for a little over a week this time between hospital stays. his health is failing in several ways. there isnt much they can do for him and today he decided he's tired. i can't blame him- its been a tough winter for him. He's done with hospitals and wants to go home. So I'm headed back to the states on friday-which was the earliest flight i could get out without paying many thousands of dollars. Hopefully it is soon enough.
i'm adding this new post since i'm stuck at home and need a distraction. Although it's going to be mostly pictures since i can't type well. So, these are downsides of living here. Accidents happen and its tough to get home if you need to.
But on the upside - we have had some good times sightseeing and getting to know new friends...
These pics are of a couple areas adjacent to our apt where vendors sell food - mostly produce, but also fresh fish (in those red basins swimming around in water), meat, and some prepared food. The produce here is amazing - I'd say it's one of my favorite things about china. Super cheap too. But you have to wash it really good and I don't eat the stuff i get from here without cooking it. i get organic salad stuff from the supermarket.
Last week I went to dinner and to see Jose Gonzales with our friends Catalina and Harry (who lived in OK for a couple years before moving here), and Bec and Scott (Aussies who live in our building-we met thru Catalina and Harry). We had dinnner at a fabulous restaurant on the bund - with a great view of the PuDong skyline! Then went next door for the show-which also boasts a great view. The concert was great - very intimate, at a super hip bar. Here's some pics at both places and one of Harry and Scott.
On the weekend I went to a wine bar with them for a glass of vino. (yes, Lisa- I said "vino" not "beeno") Wine here is surprisingly expensive. Even the Austrailian wines are cheaper in the US. There are some decent deals on mediocre Chilean wines but thats about it for getting anything under 100RMB (~$15). I made the mistake of trying a bottle of Chinese wine. In my humble opinion, it smells terrible and tastes worse!
Saturday we went to a great italian restaurant with Kim and Mark (Mark worked with Bill for a couple years in OK). Any place that greets you with a glass of champagne rocks! They've also been introducing us to a lot of Shanghai's many great restaurants!
okay, my left hand is tired...more later....
Ah Phoeb--sorry about your broken arm; I can't imagine how much is sucks to lose use of your dominant hand and then to have it happen in a foreign country. Ouch.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm doubly sorry to read about your dad. I know his health hasn't been great in recent years, but I didn't know to what extent. I hope your flight gets you here in time to get some good days in with him. Is he in a Tulsa hospital?
Never mind about the hospital comment. I did read that he's home, my mind was just on the hospital photo.
ReplyDelete