I wasn't kidding when I said they carry ridiculous amounts of stuff! It always seems a little Dr. Suess-like the way everything is tied on and balancing.
I didn't actually take this photo (I never get to my camera fast enough) - but I have seen this so many times. (photo props to Adrian Lai) I've seen them carry styrofoam like this often, but also all kinds of other things. It's quite amazing.
This guy makes little bikes from wire. I see him sitting there often working on them on my way to my mandarin lessons. Finally one day I stopped and bought a little rickshaw for a couple bucks. It's cute. They take a lot of work to make - it's kind of sad that they sell for so very little. I actually felt guilty bargaining him down. But sometimes, I feel like I have an obligation to bargain for the sake of the pricing structure here.
Just out for a stroll.
Notice the bamboo scafolding. That stuff is EVERYWHERE. They still use bamboo poles that they lash together.
TaiKang Rd - an trendyish area where allyways between old lane houses house coffeeshops and quaint shops selling art from local artists and handicrafts. It's actually a bit odd because many chinese people still live here so the shops and restaurants share the narrow allyways with hanging laundry, wash basins, old beat up bicycles, and simple locals squatting around waiting for the day to go by. Great place to spend a sunday afternoon. There's my friends after we had brunch.
There was a boat show that Bill, of course, could not miss. His heart has an empty hole since his sad farewell to his boat last August.
Oh yeah, and we got a brand new van!!! It's very cush. Now we get to ride around in new car smell. That's our driver Mr. Tan in the pic with me.
It is so China! You make me feel at home :-))) Don't you think that Chinese is capable of doing everything? I bet this is absolutely an eye-opening experience, really big eyes, perhaps, with dropped jaw, too? :-))) In the beginning, when Western people mentioned those scene to me, I would feel ashamed. Now, I feel proud. Is that weird?
ReplyDeleteBill and you look great, happiness written on your faces. Your van looks great! "Bie2 Ke4" is the maker in Chinese.
ReplyDeleteYep, it's a Buick! or Bie Ke as the Chinese call them! Never thought I'd have a Buick or a Minivan! Funny, eh?
ReplyDeleteFunny pictures...
ReplyDelete